Day 96

I first read about the Urban Zen program in the New York Times. The article was about a pilot program at Beth Israel Hospital where Urban Zen Integrative Therapists were supporting medical teams on the 9the floor-primarily with Cancer patients.

I knew this hospital well from visiting friends with AIDS. The article caught my attention as it stressed the program was growing and looking for the participation of Yoga teachers, psychologists, nurses, doctors and those with like experiences. The program was a comprehensive training that was founded by Donna Karan, Rodney Yee and Colleen Saidman Yee. 

I was immediately drawn having practiced Yoga since high school, taken teacher trainings, volunteered in hospitals and truly loved an integrative approach to health care. I sent off the application and was excited to be accepted. The training was amazing Donna, Rodney and Colleen brought in extraordinary faculty that included Roshi Joan Halifax (Contemplative Care), Richard Freeman and Mary Taylor (What an opportunity). 

I loved the people that I met in the program-however-I find myself to be an awkward Yoga teacher and so I got myself into being being notetaker. 

Sometimes Rodney would poke me into postures--anyway at the end of the year I failed the final test and Rodney found me a tutor for special lessons. Kari Harendorf was amazing-me not so. When I  came back to retake the test... again Rodney truly pushed me through.- I not so great a student.. Several years later I became a mentor-subsequently sent on 2 trips to Haiti--I remember Rodney and Colleen saying when my name was called that I had a "Servant's Heart"-that is probably true-but an Asana teacher-not my forte.Oh I forgot- I did become one of the writers when we had a blog...I truly loved the training and it recently revitalized welcoming everyone..