Day 95

The shared photo is of my mother, grandmother and cousins Bobby and Leonard. I am not sure if I ever met Bobby before he sickened and eventually passed from Leukemia at the age of 14. As far as I knew Bobby was the first of many including my Mother that met experienced Cancers. 

I was so young and perplexed about why my mother was gone. We had a housekeeper-necessary since my father cut all ties with my Mothers family. When I asked when my mother was coming back she said "Never". 

My brother and I ran to my neighbors house to walk to school and      my friends mother said I am so sorry and something like "you are the Cancer children". It was show and tell in Mrs Sullivan's first grade class and I had something to tell-"My mother is dead"- I don't remember a response.

It was so much responsibility to be Cancer children. I wanted to be like Frances- who lived up the block and played in the dirt. I yearned to be one of the Dirty children.