Day 91

Monte Cuevas, owned the building at 220 Court Street. He had been the super and raised his children there. Mr. Cuevas, was my landlord for about 15 years. Court Street, was a neighborhood when I rented in 1984 not expensive as today. My initial rent was $500 a month and eventually got to $900. The reason was that Mr. Cuevas, respected that I and later we worked with children. This special place was where I orchestrated a learning center and later an alternative school as well. As a business person, I ran things as I knew improvising. Everyone was paid- and when cash was low not me. Steady employees, had insurance and stayed to tutor. I did not get rich although many came to me with plans. During this time, I raised my daughter who never wanted for lessons, healthcare and enrichment. 

I think faith and happiness was the key. I absolutely loved going to work, meeting the kids, and supporting them. The learning center was kind of run like a meeting house.

Referrals came from many schools, Albany, and ultimately beyond our borders. This was a super happy time, and truly at the same time courageous. Running a business by the seat of ones pants is not for everyone-put perfect for me.

Some of the things that make me very happy are supporting a woman who worked in construction to take the first GED test untimed. Then their was a man who was a gaffer and could not pass the union test for a high salary- with pressure the union gave in and he passed. I loved working with students who came back from part years studies in India... and that Diane Venora taught speech when taking a break from acting. I am still in touch with many that crossed these doors and they are fabulous-quite a few adapting similar business models. Kudos to Kathi Breland- who came as a City as School Intern and a forever friend.. its true following one's heart is not a bad method-a tad risky maybe.. but then.