Day 85

The book arrived from the Weekly Reader-Summer book club. "The Swans of Ballycastle", and turning the pages could not believe therein. The story was of 3 children whose mother died, the girl was the oldest followed by 2 younger brothers. Their father owned a shop and was too busy to care for them. After a time he married a woman who was abusive. 

The children became depressed and frightened- and then sitting by the Irish sea they saw Swans (this is shortened)- and learned about the island were time stood still.  This was as place for people whose circumstances dictated the conditions of their life- they were not guilty and it was not their fault. Suffice to say the children chose to become Swans- once they went back to Balleycastle and realized 100 years had gone by.

This book, which I have 2 copies now and traveled to Balleycaste when I rode my bike in Northern Ireland had such impact on me. It was so healing to read it was not my fault that my mother and grandparents died. I was not bad and all the things done to me were not my fault--years of therapy in now yellowed pages. 

I learned this book had another name The Children of Lir "The Children of Lir (Irish: Oidheadh chloinne Lir) is a legend from Irish mythology. It is a tale from the post-Christianisation period that mixes magical elements such as druidic wands and spells with a Christian message of Christian faith bringing freedom from suffering."