Day 79

One of the criteria when I went to court to legalize my adoption of Bernadette was to have a will. I was in my thirties and had never given a will much thought. That was long ago and ever since, I have kept that up with changes-one of the most significant is that the individual has more rights. Living wills, and advance directives that include the patient’s wishes are becoming legally mandated in many states. 

A durable medical power of attorney is a valuable tool that permits the assigned person to see the patient’s medical records. Almost every hospital now has a patient advocacy office and a specific document called a Patients’ Bill of Rights. Extremely important is having an Advanced Directive or Living Will. 

I am totally not sharing to be depressing-quite the opposite-having known several people who that were truly taken advantage of-at a difficult time. 

I am currently living in a state and city with amazing medical resources.  Some states do not have this and  people will need to do their own research. 

Some years back, I took and am still involved with UZIT- a training founded by Donna Karan, Colleen Saidman Yee and Rodney Yee. Donna, who took the same classes we did for over a year wanted to share what she experienced during the course of her husbands illness.. What I learned and what was shared will never be forgotten. The picture is from one of our trainings.