Day 76

I reached the end of the line as a waitress, however the idea of starting college at 30 was daunting. I had horrible memories of trying to survive high school.

Once I started, however, I was like the Little Engine that Could. Stellar grades, while working full time. Arriving back in New York in 1975- with a degree and teaching credentials- their was no job to be found. 

Like many unemployed educators, opted for more education and applied to Bank Street College. I went through two rounds there and was rejected. The reason, which the Admissions representative said was that I had been on my own so long they did not think that I could work under somebody. It was depressing-and then my friend Roy suggested Columbia--where he had finished his degree. Columbia, was way off the boards for me-in my mind. I did make an appointment to visit the department and met the then secretary Jerry- a jovial man-who happened to introduce me to Dr. Leslie Williams Phd. That meeting and that woman changed the course of my life. She was like me but different- we were both people that needed to make do for ourselves. Now she had a loving family but impoverished. Dyslexic, she had degrees from Wellesley, Harvard, and now Teachers College. Columbia University.  We talked and she told me to apply- which I did. My test scores were abysmal-but a letter of acceptance came. Ultimately, I received 3 degrees-working my way and a line 1 on my doctorate which was on Burnout - I loved every minute of Columbia. 

Leslie and I remained became friends and confided in each other. She was a fighter, and was gone way too young. I loved her so much--Someone that sees your light can really give you a break- which most of us need. I was lucky, and had gratitude-which I still do.